What's Available to Me?
Enter your home phone number here as 10 digits including the area code, and we'll tell you which exchange you are connected to, and what options you have for Naked DSL at your house.
What Is Naked DSL?
It is a fancy name for a ADSL2+ broadband connection without a phone line. The phone line is actually still there but it is “inactive” and doesn’t require the ongoing payment of line rental. Yay!
Can I Get It?
We sure hope so! Naked DSL is available to millions of Australians, so there is a good chance you will be able to get it. The best way to find out if it’s available in your area is to insert your phone number in the “What’s Available To Me?” box above.
If you don’t have a phone number (or your number isn’t appearing in the database) then just contact us with your address and we’ll do a manual check to see if you can get Naked DSL.
What Is The Best Way To Compare Naked DSL Providers?
What is most important for you – is it customer service? Is it a cheap price? Is it a stable and reliable connection? Is it the brand name?
All are important aspects to choosing an ISP, but everyone will have different circumstances and needs. Our Naked DSL Reviews break down the ISP analysis into the following headings to help you research what is most important to you:
- Data Allowance – make sure you can download what you want at the times you want to. Be careful of the peak and off peak periods with some providers.
- Bundle Deals – being able to make phone calls through VoIP on your existing home phone handset is possible – but not all Naked DSL providers offer this. Some ISPs offer special bundle deals if you add a mobile phone to the account. Pick a provider that offers what you need.
- Contract Options – the current possibilities include no contract, 1 month, 6 month, 12 month and 24 month contract options depending on the provider. Each plan and contract length will come with a set up fee (sometimes it’s $0) and sometimes with a discount on a modem. It’s worth comparing to get exactly what you want.
- Service and Support – some broadband providers are consistenly good at customer service and technical support and others just stink. Read our reviews to make sure you are comfortable with whichever you choose.
- Freebies – do you want some free calls with your VoIP service or maybe a Static IP address? Some providers partner with websites that give you free data allowance on those sites – it’s worth comparing to see if you often visit those sites.
- Connection Options – some providers can connect your Naked DSL service if you don’t have a phone line at the moment. Others will only start a connection for you if you have an existing Telstra landline in place. So it may mean that you have to get the line installed before proceeding. Our reviews let you know which providers offer what you need and what the conneciton time frame is.
What Is The Best Way To Compare Naked DSL Prices?
Once you have narrowed down the ISPs that you could potentially go with, you will be in a better position to compare apples with apples. Although in reality it’s hard to make a like-for-like comparison between plans as they all offer different features and benefits. When it comes to decision time you will want to get a Naked DSL plan and provider that have the features you need and want at a price you are happy to pay.
How Can www.NakedDSL.com.au Help You?
We are all about helping Australians get super fast broadband and ditching the line rental! You and I have been slaves of paying exorbitant line rental charges for too long, just so we can get ADSL broadband. Finally Naked DSL came along to allow us to give the line rental charges the flick as well as giving us excellent dowload speeds and data allowances – and we think that’s worth telling people about!
Why Use This Naked DSL Site?
We maintain a massive database of Naked DSL providers and plans so that you can compare the best deals with ease! We are the largest Naked DSL resource site in Australia and possibly the world. We have added a phone number checker, so you can see the providers that service your area. It’s no good searching and comparing plans that you can’t even get! We have also added a mapping solution – if you enter your address then click the “Plans & Info” tab to see your house in relation to the phone exchange. We are continually working on improving this solution, as we do not have maps for every exchange.
We also have a detailed range of Naked DSL reviews that will help you see beyond the dollars and cents. We rate and review the service and the features of the Naked DSL providers and well as some of the important terms and conditions. We help find the best Naked DSL deal for you!
What Download and Upload Speeds Can I Expect?
Some providers have maximum speeds of 24,000/1,000kbps (download/upload) and others have 20,000/1,000kbps. In reality none of us gets those speeds, but generally from the figures ISPs are quoting it seems that the majority get over 10,000kbps download speed – pretty fast! The further you are from the phone exchange the more your speed will be reduced.
Other than your distance from the phone exchange, the quality of the cable coming to your house, the quality of wiring within your house, your modem and a host of other factors could affect your download speed.
Isn’t Wireless Internet Also An Option?
It may be – wireless broadband also doesn’t require a phone line to get you the internet. The main drawbacks for wireless are that the speeds are generally nowhere near as fast as Naked DSL, wireless connections are not as stable (they drop out) and extra services like gaming and VoIP often struggle on a wireless internet connection. Naked DSL also has massive data allowances, whereas a high data allowance on a wireless plan is about 7GB per month!
Wireless does have the advantage for being portable, but for most people Naked DSL will give faster downloads, more data allowance and a more stable connection for their internet usage at home or at work.